Elders' Services for Ages 55+
Elders' Support strives to provide as much assistance to Elders as possible, from offering activities and planning events to helping navigate bureaucracy. Some of the services and programs provided through the Elders' Support office include
- regular outings on the land—especially between spring and fall
- winter programming, which is mainly indoors, including the Elder workout program at the gym and indoor games at the TH Hall
- rides to meetings and community events as requested
- support filling out any forms, applications, etc. (e.g., Canada Pension, Old Age Security, Housing, Personal Education Credits)
- assistance with understanding government language.
A fuel subsidy is available to Elders. It is based on income and applications are sent out every August.
It is preferable to pay a lump sum. Please keep your receipts from last year if possible.
Tax Preparation Subsidy
Clients come to the Community Support Centre for Purchase Orders for the Aurora Office, or are welcome to get taxes done elsewhere and bring in a receipt with a copy of last year’s income tax summary.
Travel to Elders’ Funerals in neighboring communities
When Elders' Support is informed of an Elder’s funeral, staff will call around to see who wants to go. If there are three or more Elders who wish to attend, a vehicle is booked and we look for a driver. Elders' Support pays for gas, and everyone is responsible for their own food and accommodation (if needed).
For more information about Elders' Progams and Services please call Ricky Mawunganidze, Director of Health and Social, at 993-7100 ext. 129.