Medical Assistance & Home Care
Financial support is available to TH citizens who are in need of services related to health and wellness.
- advances for costs associated with medical travel for citizens travelling under Non-insured Health Benefits (NIHB) or Yukon Government (YG) programs and their escorts
- medical loans for upfront, health-related costs or TH family members travelling for compassionate reasons
- financial assistance for medical escorts
- pre- and post-natal nutritional assistance
- assistance in accessing nutritional supplements, acupuncture, herbal therapies, massage therapies, and gym passes that have been prescribed or referred by a physician.
The help available is detailed in the Medical Assistance Policy. Some help is only available to citizens living within Traditional Territory, while some help is available to citizens everywhere.
The home care provided by the Health and Social department offers help for citizens with limited mobility. It varies according to the needs of the individual but can include basic cleaning, light housekeeping, shopping, and other errands. It can be temporary (e.g., while a citizen is recovering from an illness or injury) or long term (e.g., Elders and citizens with a disability).
Home care provided through Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in is different from medical home care, which is provided by Yukon Department of Health and Social Services.
For information about medical home care, click here.
Meals on Wheels
Meals are provided in collaboration with MacDonald Lodge and delivered to citizens in the Dawson area.
TH Driver Service
A driver is available to provide transport for citizens—primarily Elders—to medical appointments, meetings, shopping, social functions, and other errands. The driver also delivers Meals on Wheels to clients.
For more information about the above services, connect with the Health and Social Department staff at the Community Support Centre at 993-7100 ext. 155 or ext. 164.